After the vanilla cupcakes were all gone, I was feeling empty inside. Well, not totally empty—just a little snackish. You know when you want something sweet but not anything really healthy. And since I still had my bag of coconut flour, I thought why not try some chocolate cupcakes?
These are just as good as the vanilla ones if you ask me. They do have a stronger taste of coconut, but I think it helps since the cocoa powder needs a fatty flavor to give it some chocolaty richness.
Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Ingredients(Makes a dozen cupcakes):
- 1/2 cup +2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cane or palm sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line 12 cupcake holders with paper liners.
- Mix together the coconut flour, eggs, egg whites, cocoa powder, sugar, coconut milk, baking soda, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Slowly add just enough water so that the batter is slightly runny and easy to mix by hand without exerting too much effort.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the cupcake liners. Hit the pan against the counter a few times to even the batter and knock out any air bubbles.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the tops are firm to the touch.
If you like these cupcakes, you might like my paleo vanilla cupcake recipe.