The drink I always go through the fastest is sweet & sour mix. I’m a sucker for sours and my roommate loves margaritas so it’s a hot ticket in our refrigerator. We used to buy our mix from the liquor store until I realized how easy it is to make. With this recipe, you’ll never have to overpay for sweet & sour mix again.
At the heart of it, sweet & sour mix is just lemon juice, lime juice, water, and sugar. The basic ration is equal parts sugar water and citrus juice. You can always make it sweeter or more tart to fix your preference.
This keeps for a while so it’s a great thing to make ahead of time and leave in your refrigerator for the right occasion. If you’re using this to make margaritas or a tropical drink, consider swapping in orange juice in place of the lemon juice.
Homemade Sweet & Sour Mix
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Ingredients(Makes 2 cups):
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lime juice(from about 2 limes)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice(from about 2 lemons)
- Combine the sugar and water in a pot and boil the water until the sugar has dissolved.
- Take the sugar water off the heat. Add in the lemon juice and lime juice.
- If you’re fresh-squeezing the lemons and limes, remove the pulp and seeds from the mix with a strainer.
- Store the sweet & sour mix in the refrigerator when not using. It will last for a couple weeks.
Who knew it was that simple?