One of my favorite Trader Joe’s products is their chocolate covered almonds; once I start eating those, it’s hard to stop. Chocolate and almonds just go so well together. Just as good are their chocolate covered almonds with sea salt and tubinado sugar. Again, there’s no way you can have just one handful.
I’ve tried to make chocolate covered almonds before and they never come out as good as the ones from Trader Joe’s. But then I figured if you could make peanut puppy chow, who says you can’t do the same with almonds?!
A touch of salt really makes the flavor of these. If(but really “when”) I make these again, I plan on using a higher quality baking chocolate rather than Trader Joe’s chocolate chips since it really makes a difference in the flavor.
Almond Puppy Chow
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
- 4 cups roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2-1/4 teaspoon sea salt(depending on how salty you want these)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar(optional)
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave or over a double boiler.
- Stir the almond butter into the melted chocolate to make a smooth and uniform coating.
- Pour in the almonds. Move them around to coat them completely in the peanut butter and chocolate.
- Scoop the almonds into a large sealable bag. Add in the powdered sugar and shake the bag until the almonds are completely covered.
- Add in the salt/brown sugar if using and shake again for 10 seconds
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
If you like this recipe, you might like puppy chow peanuts, too. When I made these I made another batch of those and gave the recipe page a much needed face lift.