I’ve really come around to loving coconut flour over the past few months. At first I made vanilla cupcakes, then chocolate ones; then at some point I realized I needed to learn to make something else with coconut flour besides cupcakes or else I’m going to be having a lot of dessert. Since coconut flour is so healthy, I thought why not make a breakfast with it?
2 Tablespoons of coconut flour have 6g of fiber and 3g of protein. That’s already more than most breakfast cereals. Combined with some eggs for extra protein, banana for sweetness(because the thought of starting my day with something savory makes me shudder), and nut butter for healthy fats it’s a really filling way to start the day. Besides, coconut and banana just belong together. And rum. But I’m not quite sure for breakfast.
I don’t actually bake these because I have a microwave that I love and use but if you were to bake these set the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 15 minutes or until the center has set.
Coconut Flour Breakfast Bake
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Ingredients(For one serving):
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract(optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest(optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients you’re using into a smooth and even batter. If the batter is too thick, slowly add water until it’s mixable.
- Pour the batter into a 6oz or 8oz ramekin depending on the number of eggs you used.
- Microwave at high for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave. Top with dried fruits, nuts, or nut butter. Enjoy hot or at room temperature.
With 3 eggs and 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter, this has about 30g of protein, 11g of fiber, and plenty of healthy fats to fill up and let you focus on other things throughout your morning.