I love it when people request certain desserts for parties because it makes it so much easier to decide what to bring. This year my cousin asked for Christmas Eve that I bring the same dessert I brought last year: Peanut Butter S’mores Bars.
These are absolutely one of my favorites, too. I’ve also been meaning to make them all year because I wanted to take better pictures than the old ones I had for this recipe, so it was an all around win.
The bars are a layer of peanut butter graham cracker crust with a peanut butter and marshmallow filling topped with soft chocolate ganache. The best thing about them is that they’re no-bake, so you don’t have to turn on your oven to make these; just a microwave will do.
These bars can easily be adjusted for different dietary restrictions. To make them gluten-free, use gluten-free graham crackers. To make them vegan, use vegan graham crackers, vegan marshmallows, a dairy-free margarine and dairy free chocolate chips. I made all of these alterations for this batch and they came out perfectly.
No-Bake Peanut Butter S’mores Bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes(allow at least 30 minutes for these to harden in the refrigerator)
Ingredients(Makes 16 bars)
For the crust:
- 16 individual graham crackers(not full sheets) OR 8oz graham crackers crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons natural style peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup natural style peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup mini-marshmallows, or 1 cup regular marshmallows cut into bite-sized pieces
For the top:
- 6oz(about 3/4 cup) chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Melt together 3 Tablespoons of butter and 6 Tablespoons of peanut butter until it’s thin and creamy.
- Break the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Running them through a food process for 30 seconds is the best way to do this.
- In a large bowl, add the peanut butter mixture to the graham cracker crumbs. Sift in 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Work the dough until the ingredients have come together and press it into an 8×8 pan in an even layer.
- Make the filling by melting together 1/3 cup of peanut butter and 2 Tablespoons of butter. Sift in 2 Tablespoons of powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the crust. Spread it out to cover all parts.
- Press in the marshmallows on top of the peanut butter layer.
- Melt together the chocolate chips and 1 Tablespoon of butter until it’s smooth and runny.
- Pour the chocolate on top of the dessert in an even layer. Carefully spread it out to make sure it covers as much of the marshmallows as possible.
- Put the dessert in the refrigerator to harden. Remove 10 minutes before serving, cut into 16 pieces and serve.
I have a feeling I know what I’ll be making next Christmas Eve.