Since I eat quinoa all the time, I get asked a lot what recipe should somebody who’s not really a fan of quinoa try to get themselves to like it. This is that recipe.
I made this last Thanksgiving and then again for Christmas Eve since it was such a hit. If you’ve never seen 80 year old aunts nudging each other to get the serving spoon for more quinoa, it’s quite hysterical. The only difference I made this year was using oil in place of butter and vegetable broth for chicken broth so that this was both vegan and gluten-free. You won’t miss the white bread in this untraditional stuffing.
If you want to save some time and chopping, you can buy pre-diced mirepoix at most grocery stores like Trader Joe’s nowadays.
The Best Quinoa Dressing
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients(Makes 8 servings):
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth(or chicken broth)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- Bring the quinoa and broth to a boil in a large pot. Cover the pot and turn off the heat, letting the quinoa sit to absorb the water.
- In a pan, sauté the onion, celery, and carrots in 2 tablespoons of oil until the onions are translucent and the carrots have cooked through.
- When the quinoa is fully cooked, add in the sautéed vegetables, sugar, and herbs. Mix those in while fluffing the quinoa.
- Move to a serving bowl and serve warm.
I’ve never been so happy for Thanksgiving leftovers.