When you go to Starbucks there are almost too many decision. First you have to choose a drink, then a size, then a milk, then any other number of questions—what happened to plain old coffee? I’m just kidding; of course you should go with a tall caramel frappuccino with whipped cream.
I tried making this recipe because a friend told me vanilla soy milk makes the coffee taste better. If I didn’t buy the ingredients and make it myself I probably wouldn’t know this was dairy-free at all. The flavor is rich and dark and sweet.
I suggest anywhere from 1/4 cup to 3/4 cup of sugar for this recipe because it depends on the other ingredients you use. If you use a flavored creamer and milk, use less sugar than you would if you use unsweetened varieties. At any point you can grab a spoon and taste how sweet the mix is, but keep in mind that the colder it is the less sweet it will taste.
Dairy-Free Coffee Ice Cream
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Ingredients(Makes about 8 servings):
- 2 cups soy milk creamer
- 2 cups soy milk
- 3 6oz instant coffee packets
- 1/4-3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pour 1 cup of soy milk creamer into a large bowl.
- Add the contents of the instant coffee packets and whisk until they’ve completely dissolved.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and continue whisking until the sugar has dissolved.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Move the ice cream to a safe container and freeze for an additional 2 hours until the ice cream has frozen.
- Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften before scooping.