I don’t believe that things always taste better when they’re homemade; there are plenty of things that I’d rather just buy at the grocery store because it’s easier or tastier that way.
These thankfully are one of those things that taste better made yourself and the recipe couldn’t be easier. They’re slightly soft and chewy—a perfect snack in the afternoon or something to nibble on before a workout. And because you make them yourself you can adjust the flavor to be whatever you like. Personally I’m a fan of almond butter and chocolate chips.
To make these gluten-free make sure you’re using oats that are certified gluten-free. Make sure to mix the ingredients evenly and well to prevent them from falling apart in the oven.
Homemade Granola Bites
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients(Makes about 14 bites):
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup natural almond or peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 250.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until it starts to form a dough. If there isn’t enough moisture to hold the oats together, add almond butter by the tablespoon until there is.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on a non-stick baking surface.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the outsides have browned.
- Let the granola bites cool and store them at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.