Most people who love cooking have their “signature recipes” that they get asked to make all the time. At the holidays my mom always makes a savory cream cheese ball with onion, green pepper, pineapple and walnuts. As good as that is, if you follow this blog you’ll know I’m much more into sweet than savory. What could really be better than sweet cream cheese?
Another thing that prompted me to make this was a bag of Food Should Taste Good chocolate tortillas and wondering what in the world you serve chocolate tortillas with. The crunchy and lightly-sweetened tortillas went perfectly with the smooth cream cheese and powdered sugar. I couldn’t imagine eating this any other way but I’m sure sliced apples or graham crackers would match well, too.
I used honey glazed roasted pecans from Oh Nuts for the coating. If you don’t have pecans you can use any number of things as a coating. Try sliced almonds or crushed green and red M&Ms, or even holiday-themed sprinkles.
Dessert Cream Cheese Ball
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Ingredients(Makes about 12 servings):
- 1 8oz block cream cheese
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon half & half
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup glazed pecans, crushed
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, half & half and salt.
- Scrape the cream cheese mixture onto a sheet of clear plastic wrap. Form the cream cheese mixture into a ball using the wrap to cover your hands and keep it together. Stick the ball in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to set.
- Unwrap the cream cheese ball and coat it with the pecans, pressing them in lightly to make sure they stay.
- Transfer the cold cream cheese ball to a serving plate. Serve with chocolate nachos, graham crackers, or sliced fruit.
We can save worrying about eating healthy for after New Years.