Some things are almost so easy that they don’t really require a recipe. But I love these so you’re getting one.
My new favorite find at the grocery store is corn tortillas. Everyone and their mother has probably bought these before but I really never had noticed them until last weekend. They’re cheap(perfect for a college student), whole-grain, naturally gluten-free and vegan. That’s an all around win in my book.
So now I have these tortillas; but what to do with them? Well, I went the obvious route and stuffed them with piping hot scrambled eggs, a slightly spicy salsa, and cool, ripe avocado. Difficult? No. Delicious? Yes.
Make sure your avocado is ripe for this recipe. A ripe avocado makes all the difference. The skin should be a reddish brown and the flesh should give easily to pressure.
Healthy Breakfast Tortillas
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Ingredients(Enough for 2 people):
- 4 whole-grain corn tortillas(or whole-wheat if gluten isn’t an issue)
- 8 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced into thin wedges
Heat up a frying pan over a burner set to medium-high heat.
- Crack and beat the eggs into a large bowl.
- Pour the scrambled eggs into a hot pan. Cook for about a minute scraping occasionally until most of the egg is cooked(leave it a little liquidy as the egg will continue to cook once it’s off the heat).
- Heat up the tortillas and stuff them each with a quarter of the scrambled eggs.
- Top with salsa and sliced avocado. Serve hot.
I found this salsa at Trader Joe’s also over the weekend. I was a little worried I wouldn’t like it since I usually go for really spicy salsas and this one advertises itself as having a medium heat. What it lacks for in spiciness it makes up for in tomato and chili flavor; it’s really good and the bottle is almost half gone. I can’t keep my tortillas out of it.