Sweet Potato Rounds

February 23rd 068

I’m constantly falling in food ruts. All through Winter I ate roasted sweet potatoes like they were becoming extinct. I completely forgot how tasty and simple sweet potato rounds are to make. I love these because they take a little less time to cook, and because the oil flavors them well. At this point, if I eat any more I’ll turn into a sweet potato. And I’m OK with that.

Sweet Potato Rounds

Ingredients:

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt

February 23rd 042

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Slice a sweet potato into 1/2-inch thick pieces and lay them out in a single layer.

February 23rd 043

Liberally pour the olive oil over the sweet potatoes and spread it out with your hands to ensure an even coating.

Bake for 1 hour. Sprinkle with sea salt before serving.

February 23rd 066

I have something of a sweet tooth so any time that vegetables can be sweet and I’m happy. I like to use olive oil with these because it makes them taste a little fruity, but for a less strong flavor try something like safflower or canola oil. Really, whatever you try, you can’t go wrong.

Print Friendly
22 Responses to Sweet Potato Rounds
  1. VeggieGirl
    February 25, 2011 | 9:17 am

Sweet potatoes are a delicious food rut :)

2. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa
    February 25, 2011 | 9:39 am

One of my favorite side dishes! Although I haven’t had them for a few months now either.

3. Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg
    February 25, 2011 | 9:45 am

I got into a MAJOR sweet potato rut last fall. I think I’m ready to start making them again!

4. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}
    February 25, 2011 | 9:51 am

I love sweet potatoes no matter how they are prepared. Simply roasted is fabulous.

5. Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin
    February 25, 2011 | 10:23 am

I looove sweet potatoes. I recently started roasting them this way rather than in chunks and I love it!

6. Alexandra
    February 25, 2011 | 10:35 am

I absolutely LOVE sweet potatoes and I make them like this at least once a week. So easy and delicious!

7. Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons
    February 25, 2011 | 12:40 pm

I looove making these! Try them with cajun spices — omg. amazing!

8. Clare@ Fitting It All In
    February 25, 2011 | 2:02 pm

I ate these straight out of a tupperware containter last night while deciding what to make for dinner. Can’t get enough!

9. Kacy
    February 25, 2011 | 2:22 pm

Those look great! I’ve been in a potato rut in general lately, but I kind of love it.

10. Jason @ Shutter&Saute
    February 25, 2011 | 2:59 pm

How did you prepare the tofu?

• Wannabe Chef
      February 25, 2011 | 3:09 pm

It was just leftovers, baked with olive oil, soy sauce, and chili powder

11. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    February 25, 2011 | 3:18 pm

I have a sweet potato (a huge one!) that is begging to be made into rounds either today or tomorrow.

12. Christine (The Raw Project)
    February 25, 2011 | 4:19 pm

Yum, this looks like the perfect way to use up two huge sweet potatoes I have – thanks!

13. Kate (What Kate is Cooking)
    February 25, 2011 | 4:33 pm

I love sweet potatoes! I’ve never roasted them with olive oil, although that would be really good. I usually put maple syrup on them :)

14. Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner
    February 25, 2011 | 5:39 pm

YUM!!! I absolutely LOVE roasted sweet potatoes!!!

You said they were baked, but could I be able to use your recipe to roast them? Would you do anything different to consider them roasted?

• Wannabe Chef
      February 25, 2011 | 6:09 pm

I don’t really distinguish much between roasting or baking. I use the words pretty interchangeably!

15. Hannah
    February 25, 2011 | 9:24 pm

I grew up eating roasted sweet potatoes about 3-4 nights a week so I’ve never felt the passion for them that the American blogworld seems to! Your photos are quite appetizing, though :)

16. Ela
    February 25, 2011 | 10:10 pm

These have been my revelation of the winter too, after almost a lifetime of eating no starches!

But please don’t use safflower/canola–way too many omega 6′s! Best of all is roasted yams with coconut oil–heat tolerant and tastes like dessert, especially with a little cinnamon on top.

You’re using garnet yams there, right? As opposed to true sweet potatoes, which are actually a different species (morning glory family, from the Americas, whereas yams originate in Africa) but which cook up and work very similarly. When I lived in HI, people would grow them both: you could have tubers ready to eat within less than two months and in the case of sweet potatoes, you could eat the greens too!

17. Christin@purplebirdblog
    February 25, 2011 | 11:13 pm

Sweet potatoes always make me happy, and rounds is one of my favorite ways to serve them, especially the low and slow method I read about on KERF. Truly divine!

18. Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen)
    February 26, 2011 | 12:47 pm

You know I JUST made these last week after a friend told me the simplist thing to do with potatoes. Slice them into rounds a little less than 1/4 inch and lay them on a cookie sheet in rows, slightly overlapping one to the other. Sprinkle with a little pepper–THAT”S IT–no oil or salt necessary. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until they are as crispy as you want em. I COULD HARDLY BELIEVE HOW GOOD THEY WERE!!!!

19. Lindsey
    February 27, 2011 | 12:35 am

I love sweet potato rounds! I actually made them tonight!

20. Alice
    March 5, 2011 | 12:14 am

omg i make these all the time! definitely one of my favorite veggies