As quick as the weather changes, so do taste buds. After weeks of snow and cold, the weather here has skyrocketed to the 50s and the streets are full of melting snowbanks. Instead of being just another barrier to speed-walk past in the cold, the open air vegetable stalls are suddenly more inviting to stop and pick up new ingredients.
While none of the ingredients in this dish are exactly “new”, they’re definitely a fresh take on heavier tuna or hard boiled egg salads. I’m not usually a fan of bright and loud flavors like black pepper and thyme but they work well with the creamy mayo and balanced chickpeas. Whether you’re serving this on top of a freshly chopped salad or if it’s the only vegetable on your plate it’s sure to be a healthy meal.
Healthy Vegetable Chickpea Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Ingredients(Makes 2 servings):
- 1 14oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 2 (heaping) Tablespoons mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped thyme
- In a large bowl, toss together the chickpeas, cucumber, and tomato. If there’s any liquid at the bottom of the bowl carefully drain it out.
- Add in the mayo, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly until it’s evenly creamy. Add in the thyme and mix again.
- Serve at room temperature. Keep refrigerated if not eating right away.