It always really surprises me when I find out people I know in real life read my blog; I’m not sure why since I have it connected to all my social media accounts, but still it does, and the support is always amazing.
One thing I almost always get asked by friends is where do the recipes come from? There are a whole slew of answers. Sometimes they just pop into my head; other times I’ll pass over one online that I can’t ignore. Over the weekend Whole Foods tweeted their quinoa, mushrooms and peas with miso from the Whole Foods recipe blog and for once I had all the ingredients on hand and knew I had to make it.
Miso is a paste made out of fermented soybeans. It’s available in most grocery stores. A container will last you months and months and it can be used in sauces and soups.
Mushroom Miso Quinoa(adapted from this recipe)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup dry quinoa or 2 cups cooked
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 Tablespoons white miso
- Juice and zest from 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Cook the quinoa according to box directions.
- While the quinoa cooks, combine the rest of the ingredients in a large pan and mix over the heat.
- Toss over medium heat until the vegetables have cooked through and the liquid mostly evaporates.
- Pour the vegetables into the cooked quinoa and mix thoroughly. Serve hot or cold as leftovers.