Every time this year millions of people make plans about what they’re going to change in their life. But not me. I’ve always hated New Year’s Resolutions. Part of it is that I’ll set unachievable goals for myself; part of it is that, if I want to change my life in September, I’m not going to wait until January to do it. Here are the things that you won’t find on my list:
1. Dieting, because that’s no fun. I’m a healthy eater. I eat my greens, just sometimes that’s in the form of mint chip ice cream. I can deal with it.
2. Running a marathon. Yes, I’m signed up for one, and yes, I intend to train as best I can for the big day. But no one should push their body through 26.2 miles if it’s not ready for that. Instead of making your fitness resolution about the end point, make it about the journey.
3. Eating less chocolate, for the same reason as number 1.
4. Watching less TV. I admire Heather for her own goal but that’d be a lonely extra 12 hours each day.
5. Tweet less. I’m a bird and I’m going to chirp, chirp, chirp.
6. Going to bed earlier, because if I went to bed any earlier I’d miss my primetime television(see number 4).
7. Giving up coffee for green tea. It’s not the same; don’t let anyone tell you differently.
8. Being on The Today Show, because I don’t want to start getting desperate around next November and start sending kids through the air in silver balloons.
What does that leave? I’m not quite sure. I’ll leave it until 2012 to figure that out.